Since the early part of 2010, Intesym has been a pioneer of structural analysis on mobile touch-screen devices such as the Apple iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, combining affordable, fast, and sophisticated 2D, 3D, static, and dynamic structural analysis with the convenience of a pocket calculator, perfect for use on site, in meetings, on the train, or even to replace a PC.
Packages range from Beam for quick beam analysis through to the flagship Space Frame 3D app capable of P-Delta second-order static analysis and natural mode dynamic analysis. All of our apps have a strong emphasis on ergonomic interaction and concise graphical representations.
Level 1: Features common to all CASA mobile Apps
- For all iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads with iOS 5.1 or higher.
- Emphasis on visual use:
- Aids international use by minimising language.
- Uncomplicated numerical handling.
- Choice of UK, European, and American measurement units and technical labelling.
- Geometry and loads may be edited numerically or by dragging with a finger.
- WYSIWYG: No need to consider node or member numbering nor whether a force is +ve or -ve.
- Integrated extensive multi-national section library.
- Integrated custom section generator for non-standard sizes of common shapes.
- Results computed continuously in real-time as the model is being edited.
- Envelopes and deflected shapes are drawn with smooth curves and sharp discontinuities.
- Results available at nodes and at any position along members.
- Points of interest automatically determined for every member, for quick single-tap access to points such as maxima/minima.
Level 2: Additional features of 2D and 3D CASA mobile Apps (not Beam)
- Rotate, pan, and zoom the view with simple finger drag gestures.
- Integrated calculator for numerical input, including trigonometrical functions.
- Multiple loadcases.
- Title-block information.
- “Undo” function to correct mistakes.
- Model size limited only by available RAM.
- Airprint† and e-mail export of comprehensive graphical results via PDF (*).
- Save, load, and transfer models between CASA Apps and our desktop CASA-M and CASA-IV (*).
- Integrated manual and help with Airprint† facility.
- Replay demonstrations: animations with detailed annotations and explanations, acting out the touch-screen taps and gestures to show how to use the apps and how to build/edit models.
The video on the right is a recording of a Replay demonstration showing how to build both 2D and 3D portal frame models using CASA Space Frame on an Apple iPod Touch. (For brevity of illustration, the video is accelerated and on-screen explanations are removed. The video requires Flash and may take a few seconds to load.)
(†) Airprint is only available on devices with supporting OS and hardware.
(*) CASA Intuition provides only normalised analysis results (not actual), and lacks model exporting.
Level 3: Additional features of Space Frame/Truss L and 3D (not “S”)
- Automatic gravity loading.
- Factored loadcase combinations.
- Rotation of geometry.
- Member major-axis orientation towards nodes.
- Rubber-band selection.
Level 4: Additional features of Space Frame/Truss 3D (not “L” or “S”)
- Geometry groups:
- Perform “What if?” tests.
- Depict extraneous structures for annotation and context.
- Colour-coding and translucency.
- Reflection of geometry.
- Multiple copying for large-scale generation of repetitive substructures.
- Viewpoint memories.
- Choice of wireframe and solid rendering with easy switching.
Solid colour-coded rendering of geometry. Through the use of groups, the stair may be analysed both with and without the balustrade.